Three Common Household Accidents and What to Do

Tuesday, October 15th, 2019, 1:09 pm

Household accidents happen all the time to people of all ages. Most of the time, household accidents do not result in injury severe enough to visit a doctor. Most minor injuries can be treated with a basic home first aid kit, but there are some instances when household injuries should be checked by a doctor. Here are three common household accidents and what to do when they happen.

Trips and Falls

Trips and falls happen most often to children and the elderly, but anyone can suffer a fall. Most of the time you don’t need to worry about seeing a doctor for a fall. But if you hit your head in your fall and experience drowsiness or vomiting, you should see a doctor for a possible concussion. You should also see a doctor if you have pain and cannot put weight or pressure on any limb after a fall. If your fall seems to have come out of the blue or because you got dizzy, you should also see a doctor.


Cuts can happen in the home when you are cooking, cleaning, or working around the house. Most cuts can be treated at home with a well-stocked first aid kit with bandages and antibiotic ointment. There are some instances in which you should see a doctor. If the cut has bleeding that doesn’t slow or stop quickly, you might need stitches. You may also need stitches if the wound doesn’t seem to be closing at all after a day or two. Cuts that do not heal within a week or that show signs of infection should also be tended to by a doctor.


Everyone has burned themselves in the kitchen at least once. Most burns are minor and can be treated with cold water and burn ointment or sprays. Some burns, such as from very hot coffee or boiling water, can require some additional treatment. If treating the burn at home doesn’t seem to allow it to heal, you might need to see a doctor. If the burn severely blisters, you may also need to see a doctor to prevent infection.

If you are in a household accident and you aren’t sure how to treat it or if you need to get treatment from a doctor, we can help. Contact our urgent care center any time for an appointment or come into our office.

back to top

Category: Injuries

Comments are closed.

Contact Us Today!

    Locate Our Offices