Enjoy the Fourth of July but be careful around fireworks !!!

Tuesday, July 3rd, 2018, 4:08 pm

Injuries from fireworks are on the rise. Please remember to be careful if you plan to create your own fireworks show !
Following are some safety tips from the Consumer Product Safety Commission :

1. Never allow young children to play with or ignite fireworks.
2. Avoid buying fireworks that are packaged in brown paper because this is often a sign that the fireworks were made for professional displays and that they could pose a danger to consumers.
3. Always have an adult supervise fireworks activities. Parents don't realize that young children suffer injuries from sparklers. Sparklers burn at temperatures of about 2,000 degrees - hot enough to melt some metals.
4. Never place any part of your body directly over a fireworks device when lighting the fuse. Back up to a safe distance immediately after lighting fireworks.
5. Never try to re-light or pick up fireworks that have not ignited fully.
6. Never point or throw fireworks at another person.
7. Keep a bucket of water or a garden hose handy in case of fire or other mishap.
8. Light fireworks one at a time, then move back quickly.
9. Never carry fireworks in a pocket or shoot them off in metal or glass containers.
10. After fireworks complete their burning, douse the spent device with plenty of water from a bucket or hose before discarding it to prevent a trash fire.
Make sure fireworks are legal in your area before buying or using them.

Did you know sparklers can burn at 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit ? Yet we often allow our young kids to hold these. They can easily cause burns.

back to top


Category: Injuries


Leave a Reply




Contact Us Today!

Locate Our Offices