Monday, May 19th, 2014
FUN IN THE SUN - QUICK SUMMER TIPS
FOR A HEALTHY & SAFE SUMMER
Summer is almost here and we at Suncoast Urgent Care want to remind you of some summer safety tips that will help keep you and your family healthy and safe all summer long. Here in Florida, these tips are helpful year ‘round, but they are especially important during the heat of the summer.
1. STAY HYDRATED: Keep that water coming! Drink plenty of water or other non-alcoholic beverages. Staying cool and hydrated will help prevent heat stroke and other heat related conditions.
2. WEAR SUNSCREEN: Protect your skin from harmful UV rays by applying sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher several times throughout the day. And don’t forget your lips...lip balms with SPF 15 or higher will protect your lips from the damaging rays. Re-apply both after swimming or other water activities.
3. CLOTHING: Three "Ls": Lightweight. Light colored. Loose. The “Three Ls” help to keep you cool and to protect you from the sun. A hat will also keep you cooler and offer your face/neck some skin protection.
4. FOOD/GRILLING: Bacteria in meats and other foods will grow faster in the heat. Keep foods cool at home and when away from home, store perishable foods in a cooler with ice/ice block. Be sure to cook meat fully. After meals, quickly return leftovers to the cooler or refrigerator.
5. POOL SAFETY TIPS: As you already know, never swim alone and always have an adult supervise children when swimming or near a pool or body of water.
HAVE FUN & STAY SAFE!